Overall I am very happy with the project and final outcome. For quite a long period of time towards the start of the project I felt a bit deflated and lacked any confidence in my chosen topic, with a variety of obstacles to overcome (not being able to take photographs inside, not being comfortable approaching people and momentarily changing my idea completely). Although these issues did set me back I truly believe the steps it forced me to take in order to find a solution in fact brought about a more original, engaging and considered publication.
I am also very happy with the printing method I chose, The Newspaper Club were reliable and friendly (even giving direct advice via twitter). The print quality is much more impressive than what I was expecting for newsprint and the whole newspaper has a clean, textured appearance which is a pleasure to flick through.
I feel the use of the Morrisons bright/garish branding colours work well, I originally had reservations about using a full CMYK yellow and was tempted to tone it down but i’m glad I resisted. The large blocks of yellow and green type communicate the theme of Morrisons very seemingly and I feel this is a key part to the publications success and concept.
I am also happy with the size of the newspaper, I think too much of the same thing would start to wear thin and the joke would get old. During the design process I edited out a lot of content, I feel this was the right decison. My original vision of having blocks of transcribed body copy wouldn’t have worked. By selecting relevant parts it meant I could create humour by working in imagery that complimented or subverted the text. The newspaper feels substantial whilst remaining a relatively quick read (hopefully keeping the reader entertained throughout). I am also happy with the chosen format of a newspaper and feel it is appropriate for it’s contents and the café theme.
In terms of improvements, not getting caught up on issues towards the start of this project (and just getting on with them) would of allowed me to collate more data and spend more time in stages of development, for example I could of received a test copy of the newspaper and reviewed what was successful and what wasn’t .
Despite possibly appearing like an egotistical maniac, I think the project has come together well, certainly meeting the brief of a non-viable publication (as I can’t imagine there are too many newspapers based on reenacted overheard conversations in a Morrisons Café). I am pleased with the concept and execution, I just wish I came up with my final idea sooner, as once I did know what I was doing, that’s when I started to enjoy myself.